How can I ensure my basketball remains in good condition?
1. Ensure to not leave your basketball out in direct sunlight or rain for extended periods of time
2. Ensure to never exceed the inflation guide situated around the inflation valve
3. Only use the ball as it was intended to be used
How much do I pump up my basketball?
Spalding balls will have an inflation guide printed around their inflation valves. They are marked in psi (pounds./square inch) and should never be exceeded. Generally, they are 7 to 9 psi (1psi=6.9kPa)
Why shouldn't I inflate a ball over the intended PSI?
Over inflation may damage the integrity of the ball and it will not perform to a standard. Extreme over-inflation can cause the winding to break and cause eggs and even explode, which may result in severe injury or even death.
What ball should I choose for an outdoor court?
A rubber or durable composite leather cover is ideal for outdoor courts
What is a composite or composite leather cover?
A human-made material that usually takes on the look and feel of genuine leather and requires little to no break-in period
Do Basketballs need breaking in?
Strictly speaking, no. The Official NBA Game Ball is the only product in the Spalding Range that requires breaking in. In saying that, like any product, the more you use it, the better it can feel when shooting hoops
If you were lucky enough to purchase an Official NBA Game Ball, there is some specific information we want to provide you
Does my Official NBA Game Ball need breaking in?
Yes, your Game Ball will perform at an optimum level once broken in
How do I break in my leather NBA Game Ball?
You play with it! There are no products or machinery needed. Skin, sweat and simply playing with the basketball will break in the leather over time
How long does it take to break in my NBA Game Ball?
Your ball will be broken in and ready to play after 2 months of playing on the court
Can I use my NBA Game Ball outside?
No, the Official NBA Game Ball is designed for indoor play only
Thanks for purchasing a Spalding backboard. Here are some tips and tricks to help you get the most out of your product.
Depending on your yard size, playing level, age and budget, there are a range of system offerings that will tick a box for you. Below is an overview of the system types and backboard types in the Spalding range.
A Spalding basketball is an investment, so we want you to be able to shoot hoops all day long. Take note of the below care and inflation information to best look after your ball.
In-GroundIn-Ground systems remain stationary & fixed in the
ground for maximum stability
PortablePortable systems can be moved for convenience or
CombosCombo systems consist of a backboard and rim.
They can be mounted to either an existing basketball
system, a pole or a roof via mounting hardware
GlassGlass backboards feature the best round
performance and are ideal for elite play
Designed for Professional Play
ACRYLICAcrylic backboards feature better rebound for
Designed for Compettitive Play
POLYCARBONATEPolycarbonate backboards feature good rebound
performance and are ideal for recreational play
Designed for Serious play
COMPOSITEComposite backboards offer beginning level play
and a larger variety of colour options
Designed for Recreational Play
Needless to say backboard systems are big, bulky and often very heavy. For this reason, your safety is paramount when both assembling and using this product. Please follow the guidelines and safety instructions below. If you have any concerns, please contact our team for further `assistance.
USER MANUALS AND INSTRUCTIONS
Via spalding.com.au/user-manuals, you can access the instructions to install your system correctly and safely.
If you require assistance in installing your portable backboard, please contact our official backboard partners to make an appointment and receive a quote
Diverse Group (Portable System Installations)
1800 632 792 | www.diversegroup.net
- This equipment is intended for home recreational use only and not excessive competitive play.
- This product is not intended for institutional or commercial use; Spalding does not assume any liability for such use.
- Institutional or commercial use will void the warranty.
- The owner must ensure that all players know and follow these rules for the safe operation of the system. To ensure safety, do not attempt to assemble this system without following the instructions carefully.
- Check entire box and inside all packing material for parts and/or additional instruction material.
- Before beginning assembly, read the instructions and identify parts using the hardware identifier and parts list in this document. Proper and complete assembly, use, and supervision are essential for proper operation and to reduce the risk of accident or injury.
- A high probability of serious injury exists if this system is not installed, maintained, and operated properly.
- Failure to follow these safety instructions may result in serious injury or property damage and will void the warranty.
Backboard warranties are able to be placed via our Spalding website. You can place a warranty claim
Should you wish to seek further information, place a warranty claim or follow up a claim, please contact our Spare Parts and Warranty Department at [email protected]
A Spalding Basketball System is an investment, and we want you to be able to shoot hoops all day long. Take note of the following FAQs to get the most out of your new system
FAQs - Portable
How should I store my Portable System?
- After assembly is complete, fill system completely with water or sand and stake to the ground. Never leave the system in an upright position without filling base with weight, as the system may tip over causing injuries.
- The surface beneath the base must be smooth and free of gravel or other sharp objects. Punctures cause leakage and could cause system to tip over.
- Keep organic material away from the pole base. Grass, litter, etc. could cause corrosion and/or deterioration.
- In windy conditions, place the system in an area protected from the wind and free from personal property and/or overhead wires.
- Keep pole top covered with a cap at all times.
- Do not allow water in the base to freeze.
How do I find the model number of my Spalding Basketball System?
Portable – The model number will consist of two sets of numbers. The first set of numbers will be a two digit number located on the base. This two-digit number will be located near the fill hole where you put the water or sand. The second set of numbers will be a three-digit number located on the front of the backboard, to the right of the rim. The base number coupled with the backboard number will be your model number. “Example 72_351 – 72351”
What do I fill the base with?
We recommend filling the base with either sand or water and please refer to your owner’s manual for the proper amount to be used with your system.
Does the sand have to go inside the base or can I just put weight on top of the base?
The sand will have to go inside your base. Adding weight to the top can crush or crack the base causing the system to become unstable.
How can I prevent my portable basketball system from being blown over?
- Check system before each use for instability.
- Ensure your unit is kept on a flat hard surface and after assembly is completely fill the base with the required amount of material stipulated in your user manual.
- Frequently check to ensure the base is full of water or sand. As water evaporates therefore particularly in warmer climates and/or Summer months your base will require monitoring more often than other periods of the year to ensure it is full to maintain the best stability of your unit.
- Do not use your system during windy and/or severe weather conditions; as the system may tip over. If you are expecting inclement weather, safely place your system in the storage position, which should be carried out by two capable adults and/or placed in an area protected from the wind and free from personal property and/or overhead wires.
- Never leave your system in an upright position without filling the base with the required amount of sand or water, as the system may tip over causing damages to parts and/or injuries.
- Additionally, where possible avoid it being on grass, as it is not as stable and can be prone to bringing on rust/corrosion in time due to the dampness of that material.
- The surface beneath the base of your system must be smooth and free of gravel or other sharp objects. Punctures may cause leakage and could cause your system to tip over.
FAQs - In-Ground Systems
Do I have to use the ground sleeve for my In-Ground system?
In order to install your system properly, you will need to utilise all of the parts provided and follow all the steps in your owner’s manual.
How do I find the model number of my Spalding Basketball System?
In-ground – There is a three-digit number on the front of the backboard, near the lower right section of the shooting square. This set of numbers will help identify your system.
Why doesn’t my rim sit flush with my glass backboard?
Our tempered glass backboards come with steel spacers and a foam pad and these are used to separate the rim from the glass backboard and prevent the backboard from shattering. You should have 1/8 to 1/4 inch gap between the backboard and rim when properly installed. These components must be in position BEFORE attaching the yokes and assembling the rim. If the spacers are not in place, the board can be prone to shattering given it is a glass backboard. Please do not overtighten the bolts, as this can also lead to the board shattering upon installation.
FAQs - All Spalding Backboard Systems
Is it ok to modify anything on or to my system?
Any fabrication or modification to your system will void your limited warranty.
How do I take the system poles apart?
Our poles are designed to stay together permanently once assembled.
If my system develops rust, what should I do?
Check your pole system regularly for signs of corrosion (rust, pitting, chipping) and repaint with exterior enamel paint. If rust has penetrated through the steel anywhere, or if you have any questions about whether or not that has happened, do not use the system anymore. Contact us immediately for instructions.